Active Advisory: (US Severe Weather)
Forecast as of 3:53 PM EST on December 8, 2013
Gale Warning in effect from Monday afternoon through late Monday night
Heavy freezing spray warning in effect from Monday evening through Tuesday morning
Lake Superior From Grand Marais Mi To Whitefish Point Mi 5nm Off
Shore To The Us/Canadian Border-
Late This Afternoon
South winds 10 to 20 knots. Snow likely. Waves 2 to 4 feet.
South winds 10 to 20 knots. Snow. Waves 2 to 4 feet.
West winds 10 to 20 knots increasing to gales to 40 knots in the afternoon. Snow showers. Freezing spray in the afternoon. Waves building to 9 to 12 feet.
West gales to 40 knots. Heavy freezing spray. Snow showers in the evening. Snow showers likely after midnight. Waves building to 10 to 14 feet.
Southwest winds 20 to 30 knots becoming west gales to 35 knots in the afternoon. Freezing spray. A chance of snow in the morning. Snow in the afternoon. Waves subsiding to 6 to 9 feet...then building to 8 to 11 feet.
Northwest gales to 35 knots diminishing to 20 to 30 knots after midnight. Freezing spray. Snow showers. Waves building to 10 to 14 feet...then subsiding to 9 to 12 feet.
Northwest winds 20 to 30 knots. Freezing spray. Snow showers. Waves subsiding to 7 to 10 feet.
West winds 20 to 30 knots. Freezing spray. Snow showers. Waves 7 to 10 feet.
West winds 20 to 30 knots diminishing to 10 to 20 knots. Freezing spray. Snow showers likely. Waves subsiding to 3 to 5 feet.
Northwest winds 5 to 15 knots veering north. A chance of snow showers. Waves subsiding to 1 to 3 feet.
Gale Warning, Ice Accretion Warning
Statement as of 03:53 PM EST die 08o December, anno 2013
... Gale Warning in effect from 1 PM Monday to 5 am EST Tuesday...
... Heavy freezing spray warning in effect from 7 PM Monday to
7 am EST Tuesday...
The National Weather Service in Marquette has issued a Gale
Warning... which is in effect from 1 PM Monday to 5 am EST
Tuesday. A heavy freezing spray warning has also been issued.
This heavy freezing spray warning is in effect from 7 PM Monday
to 7 am EST Tuesday.
* Wind and waves during the gale warning: expect sustained winds
of up to 33 knots from the west... with gusts up to 42 knots.
The largest expected significant waves will be 15 feet with a
maximum wave height of up to 22 feet possible.
* Timing: the maximum winds are expected around 7 PM EST Monday
with the largest waves expected around 3 am EST Tuesday.
* Timing: expect heavy freezing spray to occur from 7 PM Monday
to 7 am EST Tuesday.
Please see the latest marine forecasts for more detailed
A Gale Warning means winds of 34 to 47 knots are imminent or
occurring. Operating a vessel in gale conditions requires
experience and properly equipped vessels. It is highly
recommended that mariners without the proper experience seek safe
Harbor prior to the onset of gale conditions.
A heavy freezing spray warning means heavy freezing spray is
expected to rapidly accumulate on vessels. These conditions can
be extremely hazardous to navigation. It is recommended that
mariners not trained to operate in these conditions or vessels
not properly equipped to do so... remain in port or avoid the
Click any area for a Zone forecast. Click the Station ID for station data.
Waters within five nautical miles of shore on Lake Superior
- DLH Two Harbors to Duluth MN
- DLH Duluth MN to Port Wing WI
- DLH Silver Bay Harbor to Two Harbors MN
- DLH Taconite Harbor to Silver Bay Harbor MN
- DLH Grand Marais to Taconite Harbor MN
- DLH Grand Portage to Grand Marais MN
- DLH Port Wing to Sand Island WI
- DLH Sand Island to Bayfield WI
- DLH Chequamegon Bay-Bayfield to Oak Point WI
- DLH Oak Point to Saxon Harbor WI
Waters within five nautical miles of shore
- MQT Saxon Harbor WI to Black River MI
- MQT Black River To Ontonagon MI
- MQT Ontonagon to Upper Entrance of Portage Canal MI
- MQT Upper Entrance of Portage Canal to Eagle River MI
- MQT Eagle River to Manitou Island MI
- MQT Manitou Island to Point Isabelle MI
- MQT Point Isabelle to Lower Entrance of Portage Canal MI
- MQT Portage Lake to Huron Island MI to Lower Entrance of Portage Canal To Huron Islands MI Including Keweenaw and Huron Bays
- MQT Huron Islands to Marquette MI
- MQT Marquette to Munising MI
- MQT Munising to Grand Marais MI
- MQT Grand Marais to Whitefish Point MI
- MQT Green Bay North of line from Cedar River MI to Rock Island Passage
- MQT 5NM East of a line from Fairport MI to Rock Island Passage
- MQT Seul Choix Point to Point Detour MI
Waters beyond five nautical miles of shore on Lake Superior
- MQT Lake Superior East of a line from Manitou Island to Marquette MI and West of a line from Grand Marais MI to the US/Canadian Border Beyond 5NM from shore
- MQT Lake Superior from Grand Marais MI to Whitefish Point MI 5NM off shore to the US/Canadian border
- MQT Lake Superior west of a line from Saxon Harbor WI to Grand Portage MN beyond 5NM
- MQT Lake Superior West of Line from Manitou Island to Marquette MI Beyond 5NM from shore
- MQT Lake Superior from Saxon Harbor WI to Upper Entrance to Portage Canal MI 5NM off shore to the US/Canadian border including Isle Royal National Park
- MQT Lake Superior from Upper Entrance to Portage Canal to Manitou Island MI 5NM off shore to the US/Canadian Border
Waters within five nautical miles of shore on lakes Huron... Michigan and Superior
- APX Whitefish Bay (U.S. Portion)/Whitefish Point to Point Iroquois MI
- APX St. Marys River Point Iroquois to E. Potagannissing Bay
- APX Norwood MI to 5NM West of Mackinac Bridge including Little Traverse Bay
- APX St Ignace to False Detour Channel
- APX 5NM East of Mackinac Bridge to Presque Isle Light MI including Bois Blanc Island
- APX Seul Choix Point to 5NM West of Mackinac Bridge
- APX Straits of Mackinac within 5 nm of Mackinac Bridge including Mackinac Island
Waters beyond five nautical miles of shore on Lake Michigan
- LOT Lake Michigan from Seul Choix Point to Rock Island Passage 5NM offshore to Mid Lake
- LOT Lake Michigan South of a line from Seul Choix Point to the Mackinac Bridge and North of a line from Charlevoix MI to South Fox Island 5NM offshore
Lake Huron forecast beyond five nautical miles from shore
Marine & Boating
Enter a coastal zip code for marine weather.
Coastal Water Temperatures
|Little Rapids, MI||42.1 °F|
Open Sea Buoy Information
|Place||ID||Sea Temp||Wave Height|
|78NM Northeast of Marquette, MI||45004||37 °F||5.25 ft|
|Slate Island||45136||42 °F||0.00 ft|
|Little Traverse Bay, MI||45022||62 °F||2.95 ft|
|Click the Station ID for daily observations and history.|
C-MAN Station Information
|Place||ID||Water Temp||Wave Height|
|Stannard Rock, MI||STDM4|
NOT FOR NAVIGATION. DO NOT RELY ON THIS DATA FOR DECISIONS THAT CAN RESULT IN HARM TO ANYONE OR ANYTHING.